If you have a messy, unkempt, dirty room or sources of food and water then your house is bound to be infested by nature’s creepiest, most vile crawlies. They’re everywhere and you can’t just get rid of them by simply throwing them out. You need either need to find the source of infestation or find other ways to rid the cockroaches from your living space.
Tips To Prevent Infestation of Cockroaches
As they say, prevention is better than cure. So first, here are some tips to prevent them from entering in your house in the first place:
- De-clutter cluttered space. Cockroaches breed in warm and grimy environments, therefore keep the place neat and tidy.
- Don’t leave utensils unwashed in the kitchen sink for too long?
- Make sure you cover the cracks in your walls or below the kitchen sink with some sort of a binding agent. You can use white cement for this purpose.
- Dispose your garbage regularly and hygienically. Filth is cockroach paradise.
- Don’t leave food uncovered in the house. Use air-tight containers to store food.
- Clean your house regularly, especially your kitchen. Use an effective floor cleaner to keep the floor hygienic and clean
Home remedies to get rid of cockroaches
These are the steps you can take to avoid further invasion by cockroaches. Now here are some tips, some home remedies to rid your house of a cockroach infestation.
- Boric acid – Sprinkle some boric acid in areas where you think you might find cockroaches like underneath the bathroom and kitchen sink, behind appliances, underneath refrigerators and basically in dark, damp areas around the house.
- Make your own insecticide – Make a mixture of powdered sugar and baking soda and put it as bait for cockroaches. This combination is lethal for them.
- House gecko – Use the nature’s way, get a house gecko as a pet. House geckos love a scrumptious meal and cockroaches make for their favorite meals. But you’re going to have to take care of it as a house pet, once you’ve gotten rid of cockroaches.
- Bay leaves – Bay leaves scare cockroaches. Keep a few bay leave in areas like the children’s play area of your bedroom or anywhere you want, so they don’t come anywhere near it.
- Use a bug spray – Go to your local store and buy a bug spray and when you find it crawling around, spray some on it. It might move around for a while but it will eventually stop and die. Make sure you buy an effective one though and preferably something that doesn’t have a bad odor.
Cockroaches carry a lot of bacteria since they feed on human wastes, garbage and filthy things primarily, they can get dangerous and cause ill-effect on human health. So don’t ignore even single roach. If the infestation is out of control and none of the remedies are working (since the females may have laid eggs), then you definitely need to call for professional help.